Head of Development
Job Title:Head of Development
Reporting to: CIO
Key purpose: To lead and develop on establishing a group development function
Key relationships: Senior business managers, IT system users, third party suppliers and other members of the IT team.
The Head of Development is a leadership role accountable for the successful delivery of software for the business. Managing a team of developers, you will work closely with the exec team, CIO and other members of the IT Senior Leadership Team in order to deliver software solutions that will realise tangible benefits to the business such as improved productivity, increased revenue and lower overheads.
You will be a leader of a team tasked with developing and maintaining several key strategic applications. You will be tasked with designing, building, deploying and maintaining predominantly web-based software solutions for a global postal/logistics organisation.
Your primary responsibility will be to lead on the creation of robust, performant and secure code to develop the application (LEMP/LAMP stack). You will need to be able to lead the overall function including leading on the decision-making process, architecture and successful management of the product and its team.
* Play a proactive role in proposing technologies, tools & approaches
* Accountable for the successful delivery of software development projects on time and to budget.
* Accountable and responsible for effective financial management, planning and monitoring of the Software Development teams
* Development and maintenance of software development and test guidelines/standards to ensure consistency of working practices
* Liaise with IT support and communication teams to ensure quick resolution and communication of production issues Jersey Post – Job Description Page 2
* Work effectively with Product Managers and Product Owners to ensure delivery against agreed priorities
* Implement mechanisms to monitor, manage and provide progress on all software development activities
* Working alongside the Product owner and stakeholders to translate commercial needs
* Maintain and develop systems to constantly improve technology
* Implementing development best practices such as Test Driven Development
* Help grow the development practice(s)
* Identify and manage engagement risks and flag major issues early
* Ensure adequate process control
* Own and operate one or more development & application teams
* Software Development Life Cycle Management
* Responsible for ensuring data security/ protection in line with policy and escalating any issues or improvements to the quality management team
* Responsible for learning and applying company working practices and relevant regulations to their own working practice and escalating any issues or improvements to the quality management team
* Some Budgetary control
* Requirement gathering and technical specification creation
* Ensuring all environments are secure and robust
* Leading member of the Change Advisory Board
* Leading on the development and maintenance of several key strategic applications within the group businesses
* Assist the business on setting an IT strategy in line with Business objectives
* Ensure the application estate is supported and proactive monitoring and reporting is in pace
The ideal candidate would have at least 10 years’ experience in:
* Good interpersonal communication skills including the ability to work within a team and interact across the company structure. Previous roles that have demonstrated initiative, and have developed excellent Customer service skills
* Strong development pedigree with an excellent understanding of the development lifecycles and Best Practices.
* Experience of working within an agile environment.
*Strong leadership qualities and stakeholder management.
* Outstanding technical background in software delivery coupled with excellent leadership, communication and management skills.
* Expertise and experience in leading teams in delivering products and projects in a variety of methodologies, with a particular focus on Scrum.
* Proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful projects / products throughout its lifecycle.
* Experience of managing front end, back end, data engineering, QA and Platform software engineers * Experience of managing an Agile team
* Clear communication skills able to operate at a senior management level *
Senior stakeholder management skills
* Technology exposure to Laravel, Apache, Njinx, MySQL & PHP. C# would be a plus
* Knowledge of the Azure environment including other MS tools including front door, web docker apps
*Knowledge of container apps such a Kubernetes is a plus
* Logistics knowledge is preferred
* Management tools such as JIRA, GITHub etc is preferred
* Experience in working with cloud technologies such as Azure
* Docker or Kubernetes
* Azure Front Door
* 3-5 years’ proven work experience in software quality assurance
* Strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes including test driven development
* Initiative, enthusiasm, and a history of independent problem solving
* Experience in writing clear, concise, and comprehensive test plans and test cases * Ability to document and troubleshoot errors
* Equivalent of 5 years or more of proven experience in excellent business and technical problem-solving skills is essential.
* Equivalent of 5 years or more of proven experience in Technology / Infrastructure implementation experience is essential.
* Experience in software development and administration is desirable
* Successful delivery of IT change projects in an organisation
* Working within an ITIL framework
* A logical approach to problem solving is essential
* Logistics and postal experience are an advantage.
The role holder must be able to manage individuals and teams along with working with business stakeholders, other IT teams and external providers. The person must be technically competent in understanding network and system-hosting technologies, have strong management and leadership skills as well having strong project management skills.
Planet Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. Planet Recruitment is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Planet Recruitment. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information.
Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted after application, if you do not hear back from us within 7 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the position.