POST TITLE: Devops Engineer
LOCATION: Didcot, South Oxfordshire – 5 DAYS ON SITE
SALARY: £40,000 – £60,000
We have an excellent opportunity to work for one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world. Our client is recruiting for a Devops engineer based within their Harwell/Didcot site.
This is a varied role where you will work with existing staff in order to implement appropriate devops tools and practices that best support software in use within the company.
- Analyse cutting edge and industry standard devops tools and practices in terms of potential use within the company’s software development and deployment processes. Promote user cases and solutions both internally and externally through significant meetings or conferences.
- Subject to the overall software architecture and strategy, implement and integrate devops tools and methodologies into software development and deployment processes.
- Establish, maintain, and participate in international collaborations to contribute to the success of company.
- Provide operational support for software components that underpin both on premises and public cloud hosted devops platforms.
- Deliver high quality reporting and professional advice to software developers and systems administrators regarding devops best practice and tooling, and present findings to line managers and other team members.
- Contribute to the future approach of scientific and technical software development, deployment, and operations to maximise productivity and data quality for the company users.
- Develop and maintain relationships with comparable facilities operating similar scientific computing infrastructures.
- Experience working with production ready monitoring and logging systems, preferably in a Cloud native environment using tools such as Prometheus.
- Proven experience of working with production systems such as Kubernetes that run containerised applications.
- Exposure to ‘infrastructure as code’ tools such as Chef, Puppet or preferably Ansible.
- Proven experience in implementing CI/CD pipelines for business critical applications.
- Proven experience working with public Cloud APIs either directly or via orchestration tools such as Terraform.
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Golang, Java, or Python.
- Solid understanding of software design principles and patterns.
- Experience or understanding of Synchrotron experimentation or science data interpretation.
- Experience with customer/user facing issues.
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion.
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills.
- Enjoys team work.
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises.
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels.
Planet Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. Planet Recruitment is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Planet Recruitment. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information.
Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted after application, if you do not hear back from us within 7 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the position.