Milton Park Abingdon
Global Job Titles – Infrastructure/devops engineer
Illustrative Job Title – Infrastructure Engineer
Reports to – Infrastructure Manager
Location – Abingdon
To ensure IT infrastructure is operational and secure, and when problems occur, they are rapidly identified and fixed. Provide input and support to IT projects.
Results & Responsibilities
Infrastructure Operations and improvement
- Monitoring and Analysing security and network performance and undertaking remedial activity where issues identified.
- Implementing security patches and updates onto Achilles environments.
- Planning and monitoring capacity, redundancy and hardware performance and undertake remedial activities where required to permanently resolve operational issues with infrastructure.
- Ensuring data is backed-up, tested, and recorded in accordance with ISO27001 requirements
- Perform data recovery as required.
- Ensuring effective IT security is in place across Achilles.
- Providing Infrastructure support to Achilles users through helpdesk ticketing system within agreed SLA’s.
- Provide documentation for change management and best practices.
- Support deployments and releases across multiple platforms and environments.
Design and Architecture
- Work with architects and developers to plan new processes, usage of new technologies and setup of platform environments.
- Design and implement new processes, technologies and platforms.
- Review designs to ensure they provide the most value to the business.
Project and agile team working
- Work with project teams to provide infrastructure expertise to create infrastructure solutions that support project deliverables.
- Identifying and delivering infrastructure improvement projects.
- Undertaking environment builds as part of the service transition process.
- Work on a regular basis with build engineers, developers, testers, business analysts, architects and configurators, as part of cross functional teams in an agile project environment.
- Collaborate with Development, QA and other teams to ensure a smooth transition of deliverables through proper release channels and to solve problems.
- Database backup and restore and script deployment.
- Taking personal responsibility for skills development, particularly to enhance infrastructure support, monitoring and deployment tool capabilities.
- Actively participating in the performance management process and taking responsibility for delivering agreed objectives.
- Takes personal pride in delivering work of the highest standards.
- Sets targets for quality and completeness of work that go beyond the minimum required.
- Develops robust processes by which work is checked, assessed and monitored for quality.
- Compares the quality of work against that of others in similar roles or teams and strives to outperform others.
- Identifies and evaluates the range of options open to them.
- Articulates the assumptions made and the risks involved in decisions taken.
- Analyses information carefully to identify facts, patterns, trends and missing data that may impact on a decision.
- Communicates decisions clearly to those who are affected.
- Actively participates in knowledge sharing and cross-functional networking groups Participates in brainstorming sessions and uses influencing and persuasive skills to promote their ideas to others.
- Sets up systems and processes by which useful information or intelligence can be shared.
- Makes appropriate information and knowledge available promptly to those who have a need for it.
- Recognises and capitalises on the opportunities presented by the diversity within and across different teams.
- Focuses on performance outcomes despite uncertain or difficult circumstances.
- Engages in the team planning process by proactively setting personal (and/or team) objectives.
- Identifies opportunities to improve the way work is organised and flows within the team.
- Creates systems or processes by which help the teamwork in a more efficient and cost-effective way.
- Spots opportunities to reduce or manage costs more effectively within their area to avoid overlap, rework or delays.
- Responds constructively and quickly to shifting goalposts or changing requirements.
- Copes effectively with rapid change or increased demands.
- Reprioritises own work or the work of the team in response to external pressures.
- Is flexible in their approach; adapts their working style to suit the needs of the situation.
Drive and motivation
- Addresses multiple demands without losing focus or energy.
- Increases efforts in the face of difficulties or obstacles and recovers quickly after setbacks.
- Remains calm and focused during stressful or challenging situations; concentrates only on things they can control or influence.
- Encourages others during challenging times with their positive, can-do attitude.
- Willing to work over the allotted hours to meet deadlines and carry out work at quiet times that don’t affect staff.
- Shows a clear understanding of the different customers and their needs.
- Works collaboratively with customers to establish expectations and needs and agree service delivery levels.
- Treats all customers as individuals and takes pride in delivering a personalised, high-quality service.
- Brings people together from different teams to address barriers to excellent customer service.
- ITIL or equivalent infrastructure support model.
- Knowledge of Achilles business and infrastructure.
- Correctly identify technical and non-technical problems.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Delivering on objectives.
- Personal development.
- Strong Microsoft and ESX skills – Active Directory, Windows & Server Operating Systems, Server Builds, SCCM.
- Strong Cloud skills – Azure, AWS
- Anti-Virus and IT Security Management.
- Knowledge of ISO27001 and or ISO9001.
- Networking – Knowledge of WAN’s, LANS, Firewalls, Routers, Switches, VPN’s, VLAN’s, IP Services.
- Experience in Infrastructure support/development team.
- Working experience in most of the following Technologies:
- Microsoft Server latest version and legacy versions.
- Linux Operating System
- Cloud hosted, hybrid and physical hosted infrastructures
- Database technologies – SQL and Non-SQL
- VMWare ESX
- PowerShell Scripting
- Azure B2C
- Docker/ Kubernetes/Docker Swarm
- Demonstrable experience of supporting complex infrastructure.
- Evidence of having successfully delivered business/performance improvement through infrastructure activities.
- Effective provision of Helpdesk support within a busy, time-pressured environment.
- Administering a virtualised/cloud hosted server environment.
- IT degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- ITIL, MCSE, or cloud hosting provider certification desirable.
- Knowledge of ISO27001 and or ISO9001.
Planet Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. Planet Recruitment is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Planet Recruitment. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information.
Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted after application, if you do not hear back from us within 7 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the position.