POST TITLE: Unix Systems Administrator
LOCATION: Didcot, South Oxfordshire – 5 DAYS ON SITE
CONTRACT: 6 Month rolling on – OUTSIDE IR35
SALARY/PAY RATE: £300 per day
We have an excellent opportunity to work for one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world. Our client are recruiting for a Linux Systems Administrator based within their Scientific Computing team.
This role is to be responsible for the design, development, commissioning and operational support of high performance computer and storage systems to support the scientific team. You will be engaging closely with scientists, engineers, and users as appropriate to provide support and to inform the development of new systems.
- Design, develop and commission high performance computer and storage systems to support high data rate detectors and data intensive computing.
- Responsible for computer systems administration in compliance with company processes.
- Provide technical know-how, advice and support on high performance compute and storage systems to science and engineering staff.
- Commission and diagnose faults in bespoke computer systems.
- Develop automation tools for system administration tasks.
- Collaborate with staff and colleagues, including engineers and scientists, at all stages of the development life cycle.
- Contribute to the processes, associated software development and data management to support the design and operation of computer systems throughout the company.
- Liaise with, and supervise, contractors and suppliers of turnkey computer systems and networks.
- Maintain a current knowledge of the computer systems on other, comparable, science facilities.
- Communicate details of computer systems developments within the organisation and to other projects.
- Assistance in the preparation of tenders and service level agreements for external suppliers of required services.
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion.
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises.
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels
- Ability to learn new skills and techniques, and apply them effectively.
- Work some flexible or unsociable hours.
- Experience of modern computer systems, common hardware configurations and their management.
- Experience of Linux or Unix operating systems and their administration.
- Experience with working on customer/user facing issues.
- Proven experience in implementing CI/CD pipelines for business critical applications.
- Experience of scripting languages such as Python, Perl or Bash.
- Experience of working with a cluster computing job scheduler, e.g. Grid Engine or Slurm.
- Degree level qualification in computing or science subject, or equivalent experience.
Planet Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. Planet Recruitment is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Planet Recruitment. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information.
Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted after application, if you do not hear back from us within 7 days you have unfortunately been unsuccessful in your application.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the position.